Woo-hoo! I just saw The Simpsons Movie!
Critics are mixed with the majority leaning towards approval. The biggest gripe I hear about it is: “It’s just a long episode.” This is, of course, like saying a large pepperoni pizza is just a medium with a wider diameter. No shit. It’s the same treasure, just more of it. I don’t get what's so hard for the critics to understand about that. Personally, I had no delusions going in. I knew what to expect, I got what I expected, and I enjoyed the hell out of it.
Nevertheless, if you honestly can’t figure out if you want to see The Simpsons Movie or not, then take this very simple quiz:
1. Do you consider yourself a fan of The Simpsons?
2. Is it acceptable to you that the movie is pretty much an 87-minute episode made for the big screen?
3. Do you have at least some semblance of a sense of humor?
4. Because it is rated PG-13, are you expecting to maybe see a few things that would be inappropriate in a television episode?
5. Are you okay with the fact that the major US city (besides Springfield) depicted in the film is my hometown and not yours?*
6. Do you like to sit through the entire movie, including the end credits, just to see if there’s a cool surprise afterward?
7. Can you sit still and shut the hell up for an hour and a half?
If you answered “yes” to…
…six or more of the above questions, then you will enjoy the movie. Go see it.
…four or five, then you could just as easily go into any of the other movies at the Cineplex. Except Bratz! Sweet Jeebus, don’t reward the makers of that cinematic turd!
…three questions, then you might as well wait for the DVD.
…fewer than three of the quiz questions, then I have a distinct feeling you haven’t even read this far so it doesn’t matter anyway.
A few of you in the back are still wondering what I might say was wrong with the movie. What about my viewing of The Simpsons Movie was least enjoyable? Well, the set of movie previews beforehand really sucked this time.**
*Unless, like me, you make your home in Seattle. <nelson_voice>HA-ha!</nelson_voice>
**Except for The Bourne Ultimatum. That trailer rocks.